When a New Year begins we tend to wish everyone a “Happy and Prosperous New Year.” The definition of prosperous is: “successful in material terms; flourishing financially; bringing wealth and success, having good fortune.”
Are we truly wishing wealth to everyone? I propose that we look at the word prosperous in a slightly different manner, one not related to monetary wealth. I would like to see us focus on a wealth of happiness, have us flourish in joy, strive for success in relationships, and obtain good fortune in spiritual blessings.
Of course we can still work hard for material wealth and riches, but if we are not kind to our fellowman and have no one to love and care about, what good is all of that material wealth? My wish for each of us this New Year is to practice being more kind to others, and then being blessed as the wealth of goodness returns tenfold.
Following are 15 ways to help you achieve a Happy and Prosperous New Year.
1. Be a more courteous driver: Let someone go ahead in a merge, let a car in that’s waiting, and use kind words to drivers on the road.
2. Be more generous: Pay for someone’s groceries, their toll, or be a bigger tipper.
3. Smile more: Smile at a stranger on the street or a car driving by.
4. Ask more questions: Ask about people you meet and be genuinely interested in their life. Ask them how they are and mean it.
5. Be kinder: Don’t talk about people behind their back and be kinder to their face.
6. Be positive: Post positive comments on Social Media. When you are speaking to others about anything use positive words.
7. Respect others more: We all have an opinion and one is not right over the other, so respect others voice and opinions, you don’t have to agree.
8. Shake more hands: When you enter a room introduce yourself with a handshake.
9. Be early: Leave a few minutes early for your destination so you can slow down and enjoy the scenery.
10. Treat all elderly as if they were your grandma: Be helpful, patient, and loving. You will be old someday so think about how you would like to be treated.
11. Be Happy: Sing in your car or dance when someone is looking. When someone asks how you are reply with words like, great, wonderful, amazing, and you will become that. Our brain believes what we say.
12. Stay in touch: If you think of a friend that you haven’t talked to in a while pick up the phone and give them a call, stop by, or plan a lunch date. Write a letter to someone that has had a positive influence in your life.
13. Give Gratitude: Be grateful for the blessings you have in your life and be sure to express gratitude to those that help you in anyway. Say “Thank You” on a daily basis.
14. Make peace with your past: Learn from the past so you will have growth for the future. Carrying the burdens of yesterday weighs down the present.
15. Love One Another: Show love to everyone, no matter the color of their skin, the country they come from or the gender they are. We are all children of God. He is perfect and He made His children in His image. We are here to have experiences, to learn, to grow, to love, and to be loved, so let’s love one another.
by Pam Mills